Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Chance to Die


This is the title of Elisabeth Elliot's biography of missionary Amy Carmichael. It has been interesting for me to read of her personal struggle and final decision to go into foreign missions. Initially she did not have clear direction concerning the field or work. Amy simply offered herself in obedience. She received counsel from family, friends, and the China Inland Mission (1892).

Though I have not finished the book, I am understanding that she had a call and worked on her walk with God along the pathway. She had certainly not "arrived" spiritually and then decided to answer her call. I am encouraged.

If there be any reserve in my giving to Him who so loved that He gave His dearest for me; if there be a secret "but" in my prayer, "anything but that, Lord," then I know nothing of Calvary love.
Amy Carmichael

We have received an increase in support this week. We are very encouraged. Thanks for your prayers.

Please pray for our coworkers Jon and Patty Hutchins. They have just arrived back in Porto Alegre and are beginning a new church plant, Hope Baptist Church. A church team from New York is coming in a few days to make many contacts in the target area and help to get the work started.

No comments: